How to Use Lockdown to Become a Better Hairdresser
Could you be using your free time during lockdown to become a better hairdresser? Co-salon owner of Brooks & Brooks, Sally Brooks believes lockdown is the ideal time to reflect on who you are and who you want to be as a professional hairdresser in future.
Sally says: “Working in a salon is busy with constant client demands, a booming column and training eating into your free time. Now, you have as much free time as you want, so use it wisely. Take some time to reflect on the type of hairdresser you are – and who you want to be. Utilise what’s available to you so when you return to work, you are stronger than ever!”
Here are Sally’s tips for using lockdown to become a better hairdresser:
1) Online classes: Thanks to social media there is an abundance of free online classes. Whether it is balayage or bridal undos, haircuts or hairstyling, some of the industry’s most talented educators are offering their advice and expertise in regular online sessions. Plus, many of the sessions available are completely free, including the HJ Upskills sessions.
2) Keep in touch with the team: It is essential to stay in touch with your colleagues and your team, but don’t forget to stay in touch with other business owners, stylists and the industry as a whole. Everyone feels like they are alone, but this is such an amazing industry and we are all going through this together.
3) Stay up-to-date with the industry: Check out digital magazines and websites to find out what is happening in the industry. The content available is not just related to coronavirus – you can get advice on how to rebuild your business, as well as the trends and techniques clients will be wanting post-lockdown.
4) Listen to a new podcast series: There are some great podcasts to listen to from hairdressing and wellbeing to fashion and music, and life in general. Build up a list of podcasts that you would like to regularly listen to as this will keep you motivated and excited about what the future could bring.
5) Turn down the negativity: If you below to a social page or group and the negativity is getting you down. Now is the time to turn it off and step away. Life is a challenge for everyone right now and it is important to be realistic but equally you must also be positive and protect your own mental wellbeing.