Top Styling Tips for Men with Thinning Hair
Thinning hair can be a concern for young men, and while trichologists can offer long-term solutions and advice, their hairdresser or barber is often the first port of call for style advice. So brush up now on these 8 tips for styling thinning hair, courtesy of Toni & Guy’s Gianluca Caruso.
With the right cut and the right product, thinning hair can look thicker, fuller and healthier. Current Newcomer of the Year at HJ‘s British Hairdressing Awards, sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional Gianluca Caruso, shares 8 hairdressing hacks for men with thinning hair…
1. The shorter the hair, the less noticeable the thinning will be. Offer a short fade through the sides and back and keep the top longer.
2. However, for those who want to keep their hair long, you need to find the right length for them without exposing the scalp. Recommend keeping it shorter through the sides with extra length on top to make it look fuller.
3. Blunt-cut the lengths to make it look thicker through the ends.
4. For those who are prepared for a bigger change, the buzzcut is very on trend, with a high face through the back and sides and leaving the top a number 2/3 so it’s slightly longer.
5. Product use is essential, like a Thickening Tonic from label.m which will create volume and texture when hair is blow-dried. Avoid heavy products like wet-look gels and pomades that will separate hair strands and make the scalp more visible.
6. Building volume through the roots is key so use something like a Matte Paste mixed with Resurrection Dust on dry hair. On wet hair, apply root sprays, mousses and hair creams and blow dry for added volume and lift.
7. Regular trims are essential to keep the hair in shape, so make sure clients book appointments every 4-6 weeks.
8. Keep hair clean – your natural oils will weigh down the hair and expose the scalp, so wash hair daily with label.m Thickening Shampoo.