Heartthrob Hair is Back and it’s Better Than Ever
If you have clients who are stuck in an awkward phase whilst growing out their hair, or looking to let go of the man bun but not the length, we’ve got great news! The latest trend for men sees the comeback of 1990s heartthrob hair, the perfect style for mid length locks.
You’ll no doubt be familiar with the style. Johnny Depp and Leonardo Dicaprio famously wore the earlier version of heartthrob hair during their youth, earning them a place in the heart of every teenage girl. Today, look to celebrities such as Mario Ventimiglia, Brooklyn Beckham and Richard Biedul for modern reincarnations.
The style was recognised in the 1990s as slicked back hair with a slight fringe. Today’s comeback, as cited by US website The Cut, is slightly different. Here are the main identifiers of heartthrob hair…
- Natural waves or curls
- Laid back with a styled but rugged, relaxed look
- A healthy shine that looks almost damp look
- Side or centre parting paired with falling strands at the front
Below are some celebrity examples of heartthrob hair for inspiration…Keep reading to find out how to create the look on your client.
And the bonus? It’s easy to create and is a low maintenance look that will prove popular with clients who are less, how shall we put it, fastidious about their grooming regimes.
Here are our tips on how to achieve heartthrob-worthy hair…
- On mid length hair create layers, maintaining the majority of the length towards the top of the head.
- Wash and towel dry the hair – do not rub, squeeze instead to avoid friction and frizz.
- Scrunch a light cream or mousse product with hold into hair.
- Let the client’s hair air dry or diffuse it.
- Play with and neaten the hair until you achieve something you’re happy with.
- To encourage the signature stray strands at the front of the head, take a piece of hair and twirl it around the finger and let it fall.