JET Hairdressing Academy’s 2019 Green Themed Annual Competition
JET Hairdressing Academy held their annual competition at Towngate Theatre, Basildon with the theme of ‘Reinvention’, supporting recycling & reuse.
The competition was amongst hairdressing and barbering apprentices. Entrants spanned salons across Essex, using their own creative interpretations the create different hairstyles. To be in with a chance of winning they had to style and submit an inspirational look with supporting documentation of how they achieved it.
The judging panel consisted of:
- Jim Shaw, winner of best international men’s commercial collection at the International Hairdressing Awards 2019
- Sid Sottung, founder of Sid Sottung Academy and owner of Haus of Sottung
- Simon Tuckwell, Fellowship with honours winner 2018
- Georgie Bell, new member of The Affinage Salon Professional – Colour Rebels Artist Team 2019/2020
- Ashleigh Hodges, global director for Hairdotcom
The winners were:
- Ellie Osborne, Headlines Salon
- Isobel McNally, Six Salon Services
- Maya Brett, Strangeways Salon
Jim Shaw commented on the winners: “The standard of the entrants was phenomenal, and they should all be incredibly proud of what they have achieved.”
The audience of supporting family, friends and salons could also enjoy an entertaining evening with an Art Team demonstration. After the tutoring staff and their apprentices, Joseph Dixon, Ellie Osborne and Shelby-Chase Martin, JET models from Canning Academy of Performing Arts revealed yet another presentation.
The event was full-packed with not only presentations but also shows. Jim and Stewart Roberts, founder of ‘Haircuts for Homeless’, gave an insight to their career journeys.
Finally, the annual competition culminated with JET’s Student of the Year Award announcement. The winner was Jade Chapman from Signature Salon.
The event helped raise over £300 with money going to JETs chosen charity Women V Cancer.