Halsey Takes the Rainbow Hair Trend A Step Further – What’s the Verdict?
Flash trend alert! Halsey is the latest A-lister to experiment with rainbow hair hues. Is that the next big Instagram trend? Here’s what you need to know…
The colourful hair trend is not for the faint-hearted. However, it is a style that looks good on all textures and lengths. From Maisie Williams’s bubblegum pink hair and Hailey Baldwin’s electric blue look to Lady Gaga‘s vibrant turquoise and every pastel wig Kylie Jenner‘s ever worn – it is official – rainbow hair is the celebrity-approved hairstyle your clients will never get bored of.
By taking a page from Hollywood’s book, we can see how versatile and perfect for the summer this style is. However, some clients do not feel confident enough to take the plunge, neither do they want to play with wigs like Nicki Minaj and Cardi B.
However, Halsey found a bold and clever way to wear rainbow hair. The rainbow fringe is a smart approach you can recommend to clients who want to have fun with colour but don’t want to commit to a whole head of pre-lightener or bleach.
The ‘Nightmare’ singer posted her rainbow-ombre fringe selfie for her followers earlier this month. With her mid-length bob and minimal makeup, her fringe looks even more vibrant.
How to achieve the look:
Claire McRea, the owner of Jungle Hair Room in Irvine, gives a step-by-step guide on the look.
- Firstly, apply the darker base shade by neatly sectioning off and isolating the fringe first.
- Then carefully apply pre-lightener to the fringe area and lift to the level of a 9.
- When rinsing the colour at the backwash, be very careful to completely rinse any of the darker colour from the hair before the fringe section. This will help avoid the chance of it dulling.
- Shampoo the hair before vivid colour application of the fringe section.
- For this look, I would work on dry hair for a neater application and help avoid the chance of the colour bleeding.
- To achieve the colours in this look, I would recommend using Crazy Color Semi-Permanent in pine green, coral red and vermillion red.
- Next, separate the pre-lightened fringe into three equal sections to help keep the colour separated whilst applying and developing.
- After 20 mins, rinse the colour from the fringe one colour at a time. This can be tricky but is a must to stop the colours bleeding. I also recommend keeping water at a lower temperature when rinsing the dye to give better results.
- After conditioning, return to the chair for dry and styling.
How should your clients maintain the rainbow fringe?
Clients should use shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair, avoid using too much heat while styling and try and rinse hair at a slightly cooler temperature whilst washing.
Lead image via @iamhalsey Instagram