Hair Salons and Mobile Stylists in Scotland Can Reopen in April
Hair salons and barbershops as well as mobile and freelance stylists and barbers based in Scotland will be allowed to reopen in April, Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has announced today. However, the opening dates will be different depending on whether you work in a hair salon or barbershop with a ‘shopfront’ or if you are a mobile stylist or freelance hairdresser/barber working outside of a salon setting and inside people’s homes.
She said in her statement on Tuesday 16 March: “The next steps out of lockdown and back towards a way of life that is much closer to normality” and she added: “Brighter days are ahead”.
Scotland will be lifting its ‘Stay at Home’ requirement, which has been in place since December and replacing it with a ‘Stay Local’ message from 2 April, however people will still have to stay inside their own local authority areas until 26 April, when the travel ban will be lifted within Scotland.
When can hair salons and barbershops reopen in Scotland?
On Monday 5 April Scotland will see the beginning of its phased reopening of non essential retail in Scotland.
This means hair salons and barbershops with shop fronts can reopen on Monday 5 April by appointment-only. Hair and barber businesses that do not have a shop front and operate on a mobile basis and within people’s homes will not be allowed to reopen on this date.
Click and collect retail services will be permitted to reopen from 5 April so this could benefit you if you have a retail arm to your hair or barber business.
When can mobile and freelance hairdressers and barbers start work again in Scotland?
On Monday 26 April, mobile and freelance hairdressers and barbers who work outside of a salon setting can reopen for business again as work in people’s homes will be allowed to resume from this date forward.
There is also some positive news for bridal stylists as weddings and funerals for up to 50 including wakes and receptions (with no alcohol permitted) will be allowed from Monday 26 April.
There are lot of changes taking place on the 26 April in Scotland with all remaining shops, which couldn’t reopen on 5 April being able to reopen as well as gyms for individual exercise, libraries, museums, galleries and tourist accommodation and some indoor hospitality.
Other dates and changes to note in Scotland’s easing of lockdown plan
The other lockdown easing measures taking place on 26 April include:
- Outdoor socialising will permit up to 6 people from up to 3 households to gather and 12-17 year olds will be allowed to meet outdoors in groups of 6 from up to 6 households.
- Travel within all of mainland Scotland will be permitted (subject to other restrictions that remain in place).
- Outdoor hospitality will open until 22:00 with alcohol permitted. Indoor hospitality will be permitted without alcohol and closing at 20:00
- Social mixing in indoor public places will be subject to current maximum of 4 people from up to 2 households The prohibition of in-home socialising will continue to be kept under review at this date.
- Re-introducing in-home socialising for up to 4 people from up to 2 households
- Further re-opening of hospitality: bars, pubs, restaurants and cafes can stay open until 22:30 indoors with alcohol permitted and 2 hour time-limited slots and until 22:00 outdoors with alcohol permitted
- Adult outdoor contact sport and indoor group exercises can resume
- Cinemas, amusement arcades and bingo halls can re-open
- Small scale indoor and outdoor events can resume subject to capacity constraints (to be confirmed following stakeholder engagement)
- Colleges and universities can return to a more blended model of learning
- More in-person (face-to-face) support services can resume
- Non-professional performance arts can resume outdoors
Nicola Sturgeon hopes that by early June Scotland will be back to level 1, will allow further relaxation across all areas of the economy and society, while still applying physical distancing. From the end of June, Nicola hopes that Scotland will be able to move to Level 0.