Making the Most of Email Marketing
Award-winning salon owner and business writer, Phil Jackson offers his top 5 tips for getting the most from email marketing.
- Details matter. Keep your database up to date and have a process for updating client records or your email marketing will fail to deliver. We have a big cleanup every January. Check the spelling of client names carefully if you’re going to use them in an email.
- Support your existing promotions. Email marketing can have great results on its own, but it has a lot more impact if it’s bringing attention and exposure to your in-salon marketing.
- Three is a magic number. One email on its own will very often sink without trace. Send a detailed email first, follow up with a reminder in a week and a final call just before your promotion ends for stronger results.
- Know your audience. Create a customer avatar: a fictitious character who embodies your target market. The make sure every email is written with her in mind. Your tone should be that of writing to a friend.
- Ditch the graphics. Most emails will be opened on a mobile device and download time matters. Fill your email with images and watch the engagement crash through the floor. Short, text-based emails work best.
Phil Jackson is the owner of the award-winning Bravo Hairdressing in Newbury and the founder of Build Your Salon where he is a salon coach and mentor. His second book, the Hairy Book of Email is a step-by-step guide to making email a reliable marketing pillar in your salon. Available on Amazon now for £12, HJi readers can get a copy for just £8 here: https://buidlyoursalon.com/HJi