Cookies & Privacy
How many hours does it take to become a hairdresser trained to NVQ level 2 Hairdressing in college? - Training - Hairdressing Careers - Hairdressing Forum for Haircut News and Hairdressing Tips | HJi Community

How many hours does it take to become a hairdresser trained to NVQ level 2 Hairdressing in college?

Bookmark and Share Skip to the end

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
balding1 Posted: Mon, Jun 2 2008 22:20

I have for several years undertaken a study on the above subject.

I have discovered this ranges from 450 hours to 900 hours of training time depending upon the college.

I have been unable to discover if HABIA recommend a time and would love to know what they recommend.

I would also like to know what awarding bodies recommend as again I have been unable to discover their views on the subject.

Can anyone out there tell me the answers to the above questions, or tell me who to ask.

Maybe HJi would like to ask these questions and supply the answers.

All help appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Tel replied on Tue, Jun 3 2008 9:06

This is rather like asking the question:How many driving lessons does it take to pass the driving test?

It depends on the ability of the learner to pick up the knowledge required. Some are very receptive others struggle. What you are probably asking is what is the average number of hours,you have quoted 450 to 900 , if we take this as minimum and maximum then your answer is 675.

Wish you well,

Tel

Silver Oldie
Top 10 Contributor

balding1:

I would also like to know what awarding bodies recommend as again I have been unable to discover their views on the subject.

Can anyone out there tell me the answers to the above questions, or tell me who to ask.

Maybe HJi would like to ask these questions and supply the answers.

Hi balding1! I will ask the question and see what I can find out for you, but I am a little curious: why do you ask? Are you doing some sort of research project?

Top 50 Contributor

As a keen educationalist who has dedicated their working life to our wonderful industry I am amazed how it seems to take twice as long in some colleges to others. In my day it was always 2 years, at around 35 hours per week.

I always believed that HABIA and awarding bodies were there to up hold standards, yet surely the standards are different if the time is different. I am aware that colleges are inspected and graded against each other and each college is measured by "success rates", yet if the playing field of time is not level how can this be fair.

I beleive as an industry HABIA should stipulate a minimnum time, so that we have a level playing field. Doctors and other professionals such as lawyers and solicitors have to work for a specified number of hours etc before becoming finally qualified, regardless of age or talent.

If we wish to been seen as professionals our awarding bodies and HABIA should ensure we all work to the same standards and it strikes me that the time spent training is a sensible point at which to start. 

Top 500 Contributor
habia replied on Mon, Jun 16 2008 13:39

The principles of an NVQ (or SVQ in Scotland) mean that, as a learner centred qualification, it takes as long as an individual needs to complete it and achieve competence.  Some learners will have no experience at all, and as such will take longer than learners who begin the NVQ with some previous experience, knowledge or skills.

Top 25 Contributor
Dids replied on Fri, Jul 4 2008 14:34

As a member of the old school, I have to say that I am very impressed with habia's answer. Achieving a qualification should depend on attaining the required standard rather than training for a specific amount of hours - in which time you may or may not have gained the appropriate skills.

Top 50 Contributor

In principle I agree that training should take as long as it takes. This assumes that all trainees are allowed to take as long as it takes! Colleges usually only run courses over one year, so for example trainees might do level 1 or 2 in their first year and then level 2 or 3 in their second. Once the money is spent then the trainee passes or fails. 

Likewise, if you beleive that all hairdressers are evenly qualified if they have achieved NVQ Level 2 or 3 then I am afraid you are all very much mistaken.

Salons in my area prefer students from a particular college as they know they are better trained, where is the standard?

Students opt for the percieved best college on advice recieved!

Lots of salons varda and retain students fom all colleges to a standard that they find acceptable, even before they undertake Level 3, and sometimes after the student has been awarded Level 3.

I was recently talking to a salon owner and they were delighted to hear that their apprentice was going to do Level 3 and extend their apprenticeship. I thought Level 3 was for stylists undertaking commercial salon work. Did awarding bodies not used to state a minimum number of years before undertaking Level 3? or an I just getting old?

One college near where I live is likely to cut the time allocated to the tutors for training, will this not affect standards?

How can one college deliver the same quality and qualification if they are not allowed to deliver near to the average time for all training providers?

Likewise is it not the responsibility of HABIA, to ensure standards. Awarding bodies gain their income from colleges, so they are not in a position to question/argue. If colleges are cutting course hours where is the end? Who will protect the training time/quality.

This is about minimum standards and surely time spent training is part of this.

Top 75 Contributor

Judging by the way they some of them hold their scissors I'd say a couple of days! Whilst not trying to flame here, I find the standard of collage levers is appaling. This is fine if their prepared to do a considerable amount of re-training, but the few who do try top calliber salons seem to expect us to be bowled over and bring them in at 25k a year! I had one of our assistants assessed on a blow dry a while ago.....he passed - no, no, no you don't! It's still damp at the nape. I'd like to close down all these colleges and get back to the old days, in the salon, long hours, hard graft and yes the toilets do need to be cleaned............

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
©2014 REED BUSINESS INFORMATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED